We bongs have a unique relation with those deep fried round wonders ……be it a lethargic Sunday/ holiday morning or a “Niramish Khabar Din” er dinner or just a special day we love to celebrate it with those small kachories’ …..Hing er kochuri is widely available in almost every confectioner’s shop in Bengal and popular in Households also.I still remember kachori’s prepared by Dida ….
Hing er Kachori’s are mostly served with Aloor Tarkari or Cholar dal in sweet shops in Kolkata… I just love the special aroma of the Aloo r Tarkari served there. Here in Gurgaon we have almost no options available other than one or two C R Park based shops and the end result is: Let’t try “Dokaner Moto Aloor Tarkari” (taste similar to the shops’ variation of Aloor Tarkari.
Hing Er Kachori
- All Purpose Flour: 400 g
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil / Ghee fir Moyan : 2 tbsp
- Korai /Buli / Urad Daal: 1 Cup
- Green Chili: 2-3
- Ginger Paste: ½ tbsp.
- Asafoetida / Hing: ½ tsp
- Fennel Seed: 1 tbsp soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil foe deep frying
- Soak Daal overnight (or at least 8 hours) with a pinch of salt and wash thoroughly.
- Grind daal along with Green chillies, ginger paste, and salt and fennel seeds into a smooth paste by using little water.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and temper with Hing / asafoetida and add Daal paste and sauté the mixture for around 10 minutes in medium flame till the mixture turns dry and a bit sticky. Remove the stuffing from heat and keep the mixture aside.
- Take the flour in a big bowl and mix with salt and oil properly. Add lukewarm water and kneed it for sometimes to make a non-sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 small balls and keep them aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 20 equal portions and make small balls.
- Take one flour ball and roll with the help of your hand and flatten it a bit and then put one stuffing ball on the middle and seal the flour ball by bringing the sides together. Repeat the process with rest of the flour balls.
- Heat sufficient oil in a big pan.
- Take one stuffed ball and roll out into around 3” disk without puncturing it.
- Check the oil and fry the kachori under medium heat and repeat the process with rest of the kachories.
- Best partner of these kachories are Aloor Tarkari .
Aloo r Tarkari
- Aloo / Potato: 4-5 (medium sized) – Diced
- Chola r Dal / Bengal Gram: 3 tbsp
- Chopped Tomato: 1
- Green Chili – 2
- Dry chilli – 1
- Tej Pata n: 1
- Asafoetida: pinch
- Ginger: 2’
- Panch Foron Powder: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
- Mustered Oil: 2 tbsp
- Saal Pata : for covering the pan
- Boil Chola r daal along with little salt in a pressure cooker. Two whistle is more than enough.
- Take mustard oil in a pan and heat sufficiently.
- Temper oil with asafoetida, Tej Pata , dry red chilli and Cumin seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-8 minutes or so or till tomatoes soften.
- Add Panch Foron Powder and Ginger paste and cook for some more time.
- Add diced potatoes and cook for sometimes and then add cooked daal and then add salt, sugar, chilli and turmeric powder and cook for two more minutes.
- Add 2 cup water and cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or so in low flame till potatoes soften.
- Cover the pan with Saal Patas after completion (This step is absolutely optional but provides amazing Aroma to the Tarkari).
Next step is to serve Hing er Kachori with Aloor Tarkari !!!!!!